Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Donatello's Review


Donatello. By far one of the best turtles. When I was very small he was my favorite. Why you ask? Actually it was mostly because his favorite color is purple, and so is mine. How can someone with the same favorite color as me be anything but awesome? THEY CAN'T. THE END.

But also he was my favorite simply by virtue of the fact that he was a nerd. He had absolute enthusiasm and love for little things that no one cared about in the least, and yet he was always trying to show them to his family and friends in a vain attempt to get at least one person to say whatever it was was indeed cool. Usually they didn't. And yet when something needed inventing or fixing, who did they run to? Donnie. (I actually used to spell his nickname Donny, but apparently the 'ie' ending is the correct one. You learn something new every day.) He was the one who invented the vehicles, the phones, the things that would manage to stop the enemies machines, etc etc. But I will tell you this, being the go-to-fix-it-girl for my own family... It gets really old, really quickly. Even if you have no idea what the issue is, everyone expects you to solve their problems. Someone like Donnie has to have the patience of a saint.

Also, I have to respect someone who can wield a wooden stick larger than I am with as much ease as he does. I mean really, he could give someone a major concussion using that thing right, and I'm sure he has. No matter what Leo or Raph might say about the lethality (or lack thereof) of his staff, it can certainly be a very debilitating weapon at the very least. Plus, having to twirl that thing around as fast as you do in order to make it that effective is not easy. I've tried on backyard branches, which, granted, are not staffs (or staves, whichever you prefer), but the basic principal I think is there.

Besides these things, there's always the fact that he's completely adorable, especially in this new version of him where he's got this very relatable crush on April. It's not relatable in the sense that there's a giant turtle with a crush on a human, but it's relatable because there are times when you have a completely one-sided crush, and the object of your affections not only gently rebuffs your advances, but tends to not even notice them in the first place. I feel bad for Don because April just utterly ignores or blows off all his attempts to get closer to her.


It's pretty pathetic... However, although I don't support the pairing, I can see why some might like it. But to be completely honest, I don't see it going anywhere but heartbreak for Donnie. But I'm actually looking forward to it. Not because I'm a sadistic creep who likes to see people in pain (even fictional characters), but because it'll be a defining moment for him. That's when we'll see a huge amount of character development for this guy. It'll either turn him into a bitter jerk for a while until he gets snapped out of it, or he'll be sad and overcome. I can't see him trying to fight over April because he'll probably realize that it's a lost cause, partially because she's never shown any interest for him, and also partially because I expect by then she'll be head over heels for Casey. Or eventually succumbing to it.

Hopefully whatever happens, it won't hurt Donnie too badly because he's a really sweet guy. But I foresee him getting pretty crushed as time goes on. But I guess we shall see as it continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment